Saturday, April 5, 2008

mom's revenge


I'm afraid of tornadoes. I have been since I was a kid. If you ask me what is my greatest fear, probably I will say "tornadoes". It's followed about a mile away by "needles".

So, we had this big storm. It's springtime in Texas. The bluebonnets are out. We have storms. So when I woke up at about three in the morning and heard rain, it was to be expected. It was approximately 2 minutes later when I heard the wind pick up and the hail start clattering down by the bucketfull all at once that I started to royally freak out. THAT'S TORNADO WEATHER!

So, I jumped out of bed and amid all the noise from the storm, turned on the tv. But it wasn't getting any signal. I was flipping through the channels. I was changing the input. Nothing. All blue screens (exept for the dvd input, that had the dvd logo). So, I grabbed my phone to call my mom. I felt a little guilty calling at 3 in the morning, but I knew she'd understand. She's paranoid.
Mom: You ok?
Me: Yeah. What's going on?
Mom: Um, Tornadoes.
Me: WHAT!

panic panic panic

as she tells me that on the news it shows the worst area is right where I live and its headed right towards 35 and 121 (where I live). And so I'm looking out windows, but can't see much. So I run outside and I go from one stairwell to the other just searching the skies looking for some black tornado that's headed straight for me. But I can't see anything, it's all just cloudy and hazy and full of orange light pollution. But the hail has stopped.

I go back in and turn on the tv again. I find channel 8. The doppler shows that the storm has pretty much passed. Then mom calls back and she's like, "No tornado has actually touched down or been spotted..I think it's passed us." 'K, thanks, Mom.

I had to put my head between my knees my chest was pounding so hard. And I said, "Mom, next time I call to ask you what's going on, don't say 'tornado'. Ok?"

"Oh..sorry."

No comments: