Tuesday, August 23, 2011

"Good bacon" = Bad idea

A new Sprouts grocery store opened near our house. We're pretty excited because they have good produce, good prices, and some good organic options in their groceries. The grand opening coincided with a little craving I had for a good BLT sandwich. So, I thought I'd check and see if I could find any "healthy" bacon.

I found a package of uncured bacon with no added sodium and no nitrates from vegetarian animals not treated with anitibiodics. I figured that's about all you can ask for when looking for "healthy" bacon.

This was the plan: Fry up some bacon to have with eggs on Sunday. Refrigerate plenty of bacon to make BLT's on Monday.

But this is what happened Sunday:



(Hint: Disregard the general untidyness, focus on the smoke.) The bacon set off the smoke alarm. Bill said he had never seen bacon produce as much grease as this bacon.

...Maybe cooking off more of the grease makes it healthier??

So we had our eggs and went to church reeking of bacon grease.

I am happy to report that however greasy the bacon was when cooked, it still made for delicious BLT's Monday night.



2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Haha. I HATE THAT!

If you can find Applegate Farms you should try their bacon. I LOVED IT! So good. And they only use muscle meat in all of their products, so aside from the other obvious good stuff you know you are only getting the part of the animal that is meant for eating. :) I am also a HUGE fan of their hot dogs.

Paul and Shug said...

My parents completely disable their smoke detectors, for just such occaisions. Or when my dad burns fireworks fuses in the kitchen for good times.