Monday, January 17, 2011

Confessions of a total hypochondriac

Okay, everybody knows that I'm a big ol' chicken. I don't ride roller coasters that wouldn't accommodate a 6 year old and if we're watching a scary movie I will close my eyes. Oh yes I will.

I don't ski, snorkel, scuba, mountain bike or skateboard. I would never ever jump out of a plane or bunjee jump or feed a killer whale at Sea World.

But let's add this to the list of DONT'S: WebMD.com. Whoa. They lure me in with an insightful article about diet and excersice, but pretty soon I'm reading lists of symptoms for things I've never heard of. My stomach turns into knots, my head starts to swim, I shake, I sweat, and I'm convinced that I am going to die. Sooner or later. People, I think I might be a total hypochondriac.

One of these days, someone's going to come along and convince me to jump into a volcano because I have a brain cloud.

But I'm glad I have a husband that gently brings me back to reality before I can hail an ambulance. He even put up with me tracking the size of these two moles on his back for a few months. Okay, probably not melanoma. But I keep an eye on them from time to time, JUST IN CASE!

4 comments:

David and Amy said...

When I was in nursing school I always felt like I had the symptoms for many of the diseases and disorders I studied!

Stephanie said...

This post is awesome! I am glad a have a friend who is such a good writer. :) And who references Joe Versus the Volcano and brain clouds. Right on!

Paul and Shug said...

I seem to recall a singular incident of skateboarding on Cerry Street behind Kawanis park when we were 18 or so. I think that's the day I nearly tore my arm off at the elbow. Didn't you go for a spin that day? That was shortly after my hot rendezvous with Bear at the Provo Town Center Mall. Oh Man.

Mal said...

Yes, Shug, I remember that day. But my "going for a spin" consisted of me standing on the board for all of 3 seconds before deciding that I didn't really want it to go anywhere while I was on it. You were a lot braver than me, and you definately got the battle wound to prove it!!