I'd heard of the big upset about BPA in baby bottles years ago. But, not being around baby bottles very often, I didn't think much about it. It wasn't until a few weeks ago when I was just vegging out on the internet that I clicked on this article from the Yahoo homepage.
Holy cow! ALL plastics are bad for you?? I'd never heard such a thing before.
I found this website, and it had tons of information on the subject.
Are these people all radicals? Are they overdramatizing the possible danger? Is there enough proof that this is really bad for you? But if it's all true--I can't tell you how many of the things they suggest to avoid that are a routine part of my life!
So, I bought some BPA-free glass storage containers to replace all of those plastic ones we were using to save our leftovers, then re-heat and eat them at work. Every day.
And maybe I should think twice about refrigerating and drinking out of the bulk package of waterbottles that I keep in the trunk of my car.
And I guess I could keep my own waterglass and silverware at the office, so that I don't eat with plastic utensils and drink from my styrofoam cup. Every day.

4 comments:
yeah, supposedly BPA really is a huge deal...I did read somewhere a few years ago that you should never drink out of water bottles that you've had sitting in your car after a hot day---big no-no there. So I stopped that...but I havne't gotten around to switching out my gladware to pyrex yet...THAT
'S expensive! Good luck trying to find an easy and healthy medium!
love this! I think plastic may be overused, but I honestly can't imagine life without it. Also, how exciting about the temple! We are getting a 3 new temples in AZ, which is absolutely amazing to me, but wonderful. love your blog!
Interesting thoughts, Mal. I've actually been wondering a bunch about this myself lately. I heard from someone who read Why Gender Matters that the chemicals in plastics can mimic estrogen in the body . . . which could cause lots of problems. Probably don't want to be feeding my boys extra estrogen! I've also heard that these plastic-chemicals have been linked to cancer. I've been thinking twice about what I'm microwaving things in, etc. I'm anxious to read more about this if you hear of any other good sources. Thanks for passing these on!
Yeah, I hear when plastic heats up (like the water bottle in the back of your car) it's a total no no. So it was probably a good idea for you to switch, keep it up!
Post a Comment