Monday, February 18, 2008

Valentines Day

I don't want to hate Valentines Day. I really don't. I dont think it's clever to refer to it as "Singles Awareness Day". I think all of the heart shaped candies and the flowers and cards and things are cute. Really.

So on Valentines day, I wore my red cardigan and my jumper with little white hearts on it..and on the way to work, I decided to dig out my old love song cds. I have two that I made years ago. One is mostly ballads from the '70s and '80s. The other is all doo-wop type songs from the '50s and early '60s. And it was the latter that I listened to while driving to work.

It was during "Some Enchanted Evening" that I started tearing up.

And then I was all, forget it. So I put in Weezer's "Pinkerton" album and took comfort in "Tired of Sex", "El Scorcho", and "Pink Triangle". See? Rivers Cuomo knows that love doesn't always work out like Henry Mancini would have us believe. "Some Enchanted Evening" indeed..

The day was pretty good after that little soundtrack adjustment.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I'm glad you've found the lovely in Valentine's Day, Mal. As you know, I love it too! And your soundtrack sounds just perfect. Every Valentine's Day, I still find myself listening to either George Gershwin or my copy of your [Lizard Lounge?] CD . . . that good Frank, Dean & co. stuff. And BTW, my Valentine's Day this year was anything but romantic (Ben bought me a bottle of vanilla and we didn't have a date or anything). But I sure enjoyed the heart-shaped wreath on my door!
GRIFF