Thursday, March 10, 2011

Water

Remember when I learned about BPA in plastic?

I stopped drinking out of plastic water bottles that I stored in the trunk of my car. My car that lives in Texas. Where it's reaaaally hot in the trunks of cars and apparently that will get you a water bottle full of BPA. I scored a BPA-free Nalgene bottle for Christmas, and have been filling that up every day to bring to work.

Filling it up from my kitchen sink. Which has a Pur filter. We got the filter last summer when our tap water started tasting like dirt--which I learned from Wikipedia, is caused by geosmin.

And now I bring you one more amazing thing I never knew about water: You are not supposed to drink or cook with the hot water out of your tap!

Maybe you all are smacking your foreheads right now, but I honestly never had heard such a thing in my life. Not that I'm pouring myself steamy hot glasses of water every day but..you know.

I read it straight from the EPA website:
Use only water from the cold-water tap for drinking, cooking, and especially for making baby formula. Hot water is likely to contain higher levels of lead.
The more time water has been sitting in your home's pipes, the more lead it may contain. Anytime the water in a particular faucet has not been used for six hours or longer, "flush" your cold-water pipes by running the water until it becomes as cold as it will get.
And why was I reading the EPA website? I was looking up information on the best ways to store water. I mean, 2012 is fast approaching.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Haha. You're so awesome! I watched a documentary called "Tapped" and now I am terrified of bottled water. No worries though, I have a reverse osmosis filtration system. I was considering buying stainless steel water bottles. Heard any bad news about them?