I love tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. WE love tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. But I really can't bring myself to do the Campbells soup thing anymore. Not since Bill and I started checking ingredient labels for corn syrup. And in Campbells soup, it's pretty blatant. So we've been going with Progresso's tomato basil soup. But..I don't think I can do that anymore either. They're just so...canned. Plus, you know, the corn syrup thing. They taste overly sweet.
So, I got it into my head to make some tomato soup from scratch. I'd done it before a long, long time ago on my mission, but I couldn't remember exactly what we'd put in it besides tomato puree. So, I found a recipe on Allrecipes.com that looked simple and had good ratings.
Meanwhile, Bill came home and saw that I'd put the griddle on the stove, so he took his post. He knows full well that I won't touch the grill or the griddle. So he's always in charge of that part. :-) And I set out the bread, cheese and some ham for him.
The recipe seemed to be very heavy on the cream, so I ended up having to break into a new can of tomato puree. And I remembered from my experiences before that seasonings really come down to how much salt and sugar you use. Since the goal was to get away from that overly sweet taste, I went light on the sugar. It never really tasted just right. But it was okay.
As I'm stressing over this, Bill asks if I wanted one or two grilled ham & cheese sandwiches. I said I might want two. (what was I thinking??)
I didn't realize that he meant IN ADDITION to the just cheese ones he'd already made!
Yeah, that's a lot of sandwich. There was no way!
And after a little more searching for recipes, looks like next time I'll have to just skip the canned tomatoes altogether and use fresh ones. Too bad I've got a tupperware container full of the unused tomato puree from the second can! So, I'll have to keep experimenting. If I ever get it right, I'll post the recipe on my recipe blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment