So after our first date, two failed attempts at a second date, and several chances to hang out with mutual friends..Bill was able to take me out on a "real date". We went to the State Fair, since it happened to be opening day that Friday. Sept 26.
It was lovely. A beautiful night, and not too crowded at the fair. We watched some of the opening ceremonies, checked out prize-winning arts and crafts, saw this year's butter sculpture and a the newest fried foods. We held hands. We kissed once or twice. And at the end of the night, we had to ride the ferris wheel.
I was excited at the prospect of riding the Texas Star with a BOY. On a DATE. And I had every intention of kissing him when we got to the top. So as we moved through the line, and got closer to the thing, operators would ask how many and we would say two. (!). But as we actually got up to the ferris wheel, we were ushered into a hanging basket thing with another couple. They werent letting people ride just two in a thing. This couple had been in front of us in line. They were middle aged and decked out in their cowboy hats and Wranglers.
Being good, friendly Texans, we struck up a conversation as we started to move. The man took of his hat to let the breeze cool off his bald head. They asked if we were married or on a date. We were just on a date. They told us they'd been married almost 30 years. Had kids our age. Lived in Colorado, were thinking of relocating to Dallas.
We reached the top as they asked us about living in the Metroplex, and what was that green building there? I was a little dissappointed, but knew we'd go around again. So as we came to the top for the second round, I jumped on a lull in conversation to ask the man, "Can I see your hat for a second?" He let me have it, and I held it up in front of my face as I turned to Bill and kissed him behind the cover of the hat.
Then I held it out to the man as he just looked at me, then he took it and said, "Well, I think that's the nicest thing this hat's ever been used for. I'll think of it every time I put it on."
It was lovely. A beautiful night, and not too crowded at the fair. We watched some of the opening ceremonies, checked out prize-winning arts and crafts, saw this year's butter sculpture and a the newest fried foods. We held hands. We kissed once or twice. And at the end of the night, we had to ride the ferris wheel.
I was excited at the prospect of riding the Texas Star with a BOY. On a DATE. And I had every intention of kissing him when we got to the top. So as we moved through the line, and got closer to the thing, operators would ask how many and we would say two. (!). But as we actually got up to the ferris wheel, we were ushered into a hanging basket thing with another couple. They werent letting people ride just two in a thing. This couple had been in front of us in line. They were middle aged and decked out in their cowboy hats and Wranglers.Being good, friendly Texans, we struck up a conversation as we started to move. The man took of his hat to let the breeze cool off his bald head. They asked if we were married or on a date. We were just on a date. They told us they'd been married almost 30 years. Had kids our age. Lived in Colorado, were thinking of relocating to Dallas.
We reached the top as they asked us about living in the Metroplex, and what was that green building there? I was a little dissappointed, but knew we'd go around again. So as we came to the top for the second round, I jumped on a lull in conversation to ask the man, "Can I see your hat for a second?" He let me have it, and I held it up in front of my face as I turned to Bill and kissed him behind the cover of the hat.
Then I held it out to the man as he just looked at me, then he took it and said, "Well, I think that's the nicest thing this hat's ever been used for. I'll think of it every time I put it on."
It was on the drive home that night that Bill took my hand and told me he didn't want to date anybody else.


4 comments:
That could become a really good Sacrament Meeting story one day. I'm glad you were friendly Texans and that it still worked out! And the man's comment made my heart melt a little. Keep up the good work!
Mal! That is such a great story! I'm so impressed with you! I wouldn't have the guts to do that! So when are you going to post a pic of Bill?
I love your stories; can't wait to meet Bill :)
Yes! Way to go Mal! I suddenly have some new ideas for hats! And I loved your boy's comment afterwards. Classic. Keep sharing it!
Post a Comment