I just stayed up to watch City Lights on my laptop. With headphones. I've had this mad craving to see it since this weekend. I bought it and finally got a chance to watch it tonight. I guess I've been feeling sentimental. Silent films are so evocative. The violins playing, the shadowy eyes, everything in black and white and taking its time just enjoying the wonder of moving on screen.
Ever since discussing this "Old Movie Club" with Josh and Sam a few weeks ago, I've been wracking my mind for my favorite old movies. Old, old, old movies. There's nothing else like them.
But I think it was reading this little translation from the Bach Choir concert that Lauren and I went to on Sunday that made me feel all cheeseball and I HAD to watch City Lights and no other would do because this is what you see in beautiful, grainy black and white in the face of Charlie Chaplin:
Bonjour mon coeur
Orlando di Lasso (1532-1594)
Good day, my heart, my dear life,
Good day, my eye, my sweet love!
Good day, my most beautiful, my delight,
Good day, my darling, my love,
My mild springtime, my gentle new flower,
My sweet pleasure, my charming dove,
My sparrow, my elegant turtledove!
Good day, my sweet disinterested love!
-Pierre de Ronsard
1 comment:
YAY BLOGS!!! Can I post a link to your blog on my blog? Then we can be blog friends! YAY!!!!
Post a Comment